2018 Victoria Populaire
Sunday, April 15
2018 Registration 2017 Results 2017 Photos Finisher Pins History
Join the BC Randonneurs cycling club for a fun, scenic ride around Victoria and the Saanich Peninsula. Choose either the 50k or 100k route and enjoy post-ride refreshments and draw prizes.
Everyone welcome! Come discover what randonneuring is all about!
Sunday, April 15, 2018
- 100k - 7:00 am registration & check-in, 8:00 am start
- 50k - 8:30 am registration & check-in, 10:00 am start
Note: Registration & check-in will close 10 minutes before the start of each ride but will reopen for late registration & check-in for up to an hour following the start of each ride.
James Bay Athletic Association Clubhouse
205 Simcoe Street, Victoria, BC
Registration and the start/finish will be outside the JBAA Clubhouse - look for signs.
Food will be available after the ride.
Off-street parking is available in the City of Victoria parking lot adjacent to MacDonald Park (just steps from the JBAA Clubhouse). Some street parking available nearby and along Dallas Road (check signs to avoid residential and short-term parking areas).
Victoria / Saanich Peninsula
The following are links to the route information for 2017. These is not the official route sheets and maps. Ride organizers may make last minute changes because of road closures or other problems. The route sheet you receive at the start of the ride is the official one. The RideWithGPS versions have some errors.
2018 route sheets and RideWith GPS coming soon.
$15 online in advance or $25 (cash only) on day of event
($10 for participants under 19 -- see note about waivers/supervision below)
Online registration guarantees your spot and includes an entry into an additional draw prize!
Online registration closes at midnight on Wednesday, April 11, 2018.
Entry fee includes:
- Planned routes and staffed control points
- Victoria Populaire finisher’s pin
- Post-ride refreshments and draw prizes
More about the Victoria Populaire:
- The Victoria Populaire (VicPop) is a fun ride, not a race. The routes all make their way to 'control stops' where riders must have their control cards stamped and signed by a ride official. At the end of the ride, riders turn in their control cards and are awarded a finisher's pin.
- Please arrive early! Registration & check-in will close 10 minutes prior to the start time in order to have a smooth start. Late registration will be available from 8:00-9:00 a.m. for 100k, and 10:00-11:00 a.m. for 50k riders.
- Waivers for all participants under 19 years of age must be signed by an adult, and participants under 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times on the ride.
- No roads are closed for the Victoria Populaire (or any other randonneur event). Participants must share the road with motorists, watch for pedestrians, and obey all traffic rules. Riders who engage in racing or other unsafe riding practices will be disqualified. In accordance with BC law, all cyclists must wear approved helmets at all times during the ride. Your bike should be in good working order.
- Participants may wish to bring along a lock for securing their bicycle should they choose to stop along the route and/or while inside the James Bay Athletic Association Clubhouse.
- The usual randonneur equipment rules and practices have been relaxed for this event - fenders and lights are optional. However, reflective clothing and rear lights are recommended - they will help make you more visible to motorists if it rains. Randonneur time limits also will not apply, so take your time if you have to.
- Riders should be self-sufficient, carrying spare tubes, a pump, food, and liquid. Water will be provided at controls. Carrying ID, a phone and cash is also recommended. Riders are free to purchase food, supplies, or bike repairs at any stores they encounter along the route.
- Riders should call 911 for any emergency. Please call the organizer (phone number on route sheet) if you decide to abandon the ride.
Map to the James Bay Athletic Association Clubhouse:
Note about parking:
Riding to the start location is encouraged, but if you are driving, there is off-street parking available in the City of Victoria parking lot adjacent to MacDonald Park (just steps from the JBAA Clubhouse). Some street parking available nearby and along Dallas Road (check signs to avoid residential and short-term parking areas).
Any experienced Randonneurs please let Roxanne Stedman know if they wish to be ride ambassadors. The role will entail wearing a helmet ribbon so new riders know who to approach for advice while on the ride. This is not a sweep position.
2018 Ride Organizer:
Roxanne Stedman 250-598-2339